Relovable bread dumplings
















I have promised on Twitter to write this recipe more than a month ago.

At the weekend we had family at our house and I totally misjudged the number of bread rolls we were going to eat for breakfast. So I was left with 10 hard bread rolls today. What a waste!

So no more excuses to make my Relovable Bread Dumplings again and finally share the recipe with you. So, here we go:


You will need:
















  • About 10 hard bread rolls or 400 g of mixed white bread (baguette, toasting bread etc., and I sometimes throw a couple of bretzels in as well) 
  • 500 ml of milk
  • 1 onion, very finely chopped
  • 20 g butter
  • 3 eggs

This is how you do it:

  1. Shred or rasp the bread (I use my food processor) into large crumbs and add some salt
  2. Heat up milk and pour it over the bread crumbs
  3. Soften the chopped onion in the butter in a frying pan
  4. Mix the bread dumpling dough with the fryed onion and the eggs (you can also add some chopped parsley at this point)
  5. Shape into dumplings and put these into boiling water. Reduce to a simmer and leave dumplings in there for about 20 min.

The original recipe comes from zu Gut für die Tonne, a German site which fights food wastage.

Dumplings alone are a bit bland and therefore I like to make a simple sauce to go with them. My friend Louisa gave me a jar of delicious wild mushrooms, which she had foraged and dried in the summer. I decided to use them for a mushroom and cream sauce (this is how much I trust Louisa...).


You will need:

  • 1 handfull of dried wild mushrooms (from a trusted source!)
  • 250 ml of warm water
  • 1 Tbsp of butter
  • 1 small onion
  • 2 Tbsp flour
  • 1 tsp of vegetable soup stock
  • salt and pepper
  • a dash of lemon juice 
  • parsley
  • several Tbsp of cream (I did not have cream in the fridge and therefore substituted sour cream and a bit of milk)

This is how you do it:

  • Let the dried mushrooms soak in warm water for about 1 hour, then strain and catch the water
  • Fry the onions in the butter
  • Add the strained reconstituted mushrooms and the parsley
  • Sprinkle the flour on top and stir in quickly
  • Pour the water, in which the mushrooms had soaked, into the pan and season with 1 tsp of vegetable soup stock, salt, pepper and a dash of lemon juice.
  • Mix in some cream to your taste

Guten Appetit!


If you cannot finish all the dumplings, no reason to give up and hand them over to the bin. I keep the leftover dumplings in the frindge, cut them into slices and fry them up the next day. In fact, I always try to make too many, because the fried-up dumplings are my absolute favourite.


Kommentare

Beliebte Posts