Relovable chicken soup

Recently there has been a lot on the news about food wastage. We have made a big effort in our family to reduce the amount of food we throw away, but I was curious to see if I could take it one step further and apply our RELOVABLE approach "recycled with love" to food waste.

The first outcome is my "100% relovable chicken soup". All its ingredients normally go to waste.





















First, I put a container in my freezer in which I collect all (organic!) vegetable "waste", which we produce:

• peels from root vegetables like carrots, parsnips and beetroot
• the dark green and slightly tough parts of leaks
• onion skins
• stalks of herbs such as parsley and coriander
• uneaten vegetables (carrots and peppers) from our kids' lunch boxes
• tomatoes which have become slightly too ripe, but have not gone off
• etc.

Once the container is full, I go to the farmers market and ask our chicken farmer for chicken carcasses, which are left over from cutting chicken breasts, wings and thighs and normally end up in the garbage as well. (Equally I use the carcass of every roast chicken or turkey we make.)



















I then put everything into a large saucepan and let it simmer for 2 - 3 hours. I end up with several litres of yummy chicken broth, which I then serve with noodles, fresh vegetables and herbs.

As we are limited in freezer space, I have learned how to preserve the chicken stock in glass jars, which generally involves heating them to an elevated temperature for a certain time. Since I am neither a professional cook nor an expert on food hygiene, please look up your own recipe for preserving soup on the internet. You can find plenty of advice from more knowledgable sources.

Guten Appettit!







Kommentare

Beliebte Posts